Sunday, October 5, 2008

Has the stone been rolled away?



As a youth ministry leader, it's not unusual for me to be here working away on the next weeks youth lesson. Over the past three weeks we have been going over the last days of Christ's life from Gethsemany up through His death on the cross. Normally this would be a serrious of lessons I might do closer to Easter but we have recently had a number of new students join our youthgroup, many of these students have little to no past church experiance and so I have been trying to cover basic necessities of Christianity. This week my plan was to talk about how though Jesus died for us on the cross the story doesn't end there. And while that will still likely be a central part of my message, I feel the Lord leading me in a slightly different direction. You see the more I think about it the more I get the impression that our youthgroup has in a lot of ways become like the grave that held Jesus. You see Jesus is on the inside, but we are shut off from the world. It's time to thow open the doors of the church, just as the stone was rolled away. It's time that Jesus took to the streets. It's time we as a youthgroup we step out of the tomb, we have in our possession the precious gift of salvation, the gift of life. But who's going to look for life in a tomb? What this world needs, what this city needs is to see and feel the love of Jesus. Our city is so full of dead religion that sadly no one looks for life in a church. We have to bring God's love to the hurting, the dirty, the dying. The time has come for us to step out. We have to or we'll never be more than a tomb. So here and now I vow to step out, to stand up, to put feet to my faith. I just wonder if I'm going to turn around to find the stone has been rolled back in place.

No comments: