Friday, June 22, 2007

Evan Almighty




Tonight the movie "Evan Almighty" premiers in theaters around the US and I thought it might be prudent to give my take on the movie here, of course this blogs audience is rather small, but for those of you who might actually read this, here's my take.

Now I had the benefit of being invited to go to a pre-screening of the movie several weeks ago, so this is my opinion of the actuall movie, not just my opinion of some one else's opion. But on that note I would like to say to those snobby movie reviewers, that I don't care how original, or cutting edge the movie is, how well someone played some difficult role, the whole point of seeing a movie, in my humble opinion, is to enjoy myself. Now no matter how high it's "technical" merits may be if I walk out of the theater or get off my couch, and I haven't been enjoying myself for the last couple hours, then in my opinion it's not a good movie. Because as the saying goes time is money, and frankly I don't like having to waste $7 to see a movie and then also waste two hours of my life as well. And well money is not everything I figure I can make at least $10 an hour working so That means that movie, which I didn't even enjoy just cost me $27, not to mention if I bought soda or popcorn. That is not only completly uneceptable but it is also the whole reason I rarely go to the theater anymore.

I have said all this to point out that in the case of Evan Almighty this is simply not the case, I can't remember the last time I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the movies, and when the movie was over I couldn't stop talking about it. My wife and I not only laughed throughout the movie but we continued to laugh about it that night, the rest of the week, and even two weeks later we still find ourselves periodicly giggling as we remember something from the movie.

Now I know many of you out there, who are worried that it will be a little on the sacriligious side, I was. In fact though I had not watched Bruce Almighty, I went ahead and watched it before seeing Evan and while it was kinda funny, and while the general messege of the movie was good, it was a little on the offensive side for Christians, I mean not the kind of movie I would take my youthgroup to, it's just not a good church activity movie. But I would like to say I was pleasently surprised with Evan Almighty, not only was it family friendly, but it was also very pro-Christian, pro-God, which frankly you don't see very much anymore. Now that said if you really go intending to find something offensive, something to complain about, you could probably find something, but honestly you could do that no matter what you watch, you could do that watching Saturday morning cartoons, in fact turn on TBN or watch a Christian DVD, Go to church, no matter where you go, who you talk to you can find something to complain about.

So my final opinion is this movie is GREAT, I am deffinitly going to buy this one when it comes out, this is a movie I am looking forward to watching with my little one when He gets older. It's a movie you can watch with your kids and not have to have one of those "parental" conversations afterwards. It's a movie that unlike most movies today, leaves you feeling uplifted, and joyous. So I don't care what all those hollywood types sayy, I say you should go see it! Show hollywood that people want to watch "quality" movies, that a movie doesn't have to have sex, nudit, drugs, perverse language and gore for people to like it.

So go watch Evan Almighty, and let the joy of the Lord overflow in your life :)

No comments: